From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 2009 22:04:03 -0700
> Imagine they have finally found the root causes of all cancers.

Actually, Yoon, my guess is that the root cause of cancers has recently been
identified--it is about microRNA and epigenetic expression.  Likely explains
why all the other research has been so unfruitful.

> That discovery will put an end to their billion-dollar industries
overnight, a reason they must not and cannot focus on finding the root
causes.

My guess is that it will not put an end to the industry, but rather to shift
the focus.  Evolution of the industry, similar to what Bill was speaking of.

> >Can you name one successful *breeding program* whose benefits have
> persisted into modern era of beekeeping, having survived several decades?

Here are two (do I get bonus points?) that come to mind:
The shift of the North American bee population away from feisty A.m.m. to
the more gentle and productive A.m.l.
The replacement of European A.m. in the American tropics with the
better-adapted A.m. scutellata hybrids.

> > A successful breeding program has to be an ongoing treadmill, too, since
> the external variables mutate

True, but that doesn't mean that we should give up on selecting bees that
perform best to our specifications.  There are a number of excellent lines
of bees out there for the commercial migratory beekeeper, since they drive
the market.

IMHO, we just need more lines that are appropriate for those beeks who want
bees that require minimum inputs, make honey, and don't sting too much.

Randy Oliver