From:
Komppa-Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:35:51 +0200
Allen Dic wrote
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Replacement of Coumaphos

> > I heard recently from a UK source that the organophosphates are now
> > outclassed by safer products, and hopefully will all be withdrawn in
> > the near future. Is that true and what is the replacement product?
>
> From what some say, FGMO ;)

Well, I still have my doubts about FGMO, but I know the results from the tests for Finnish varroa concept.

You can read them in english from www.hunaja.net  From the main page choose  'aiheesta lisää' on the left and then on the next page 'mehiläishoidon kirjallisuutta ja muuta hyödyllistä kirjallisuutta' in the middle. Then you end up in library and there is article in english about varroa control in Finland and other file containing the tables and results from our tests.

In short I can say that warroa is no problen at the moment for us with these methods. They should work also in northern midwest and Canada as the climate is similiar to ours. The use of Apistan has dropped by 80 % during the last 5 years. European honey customers are wery concerned about posiible residues of synthetic chemicals.

I dont only stydy this, but treat my own 180 hives only with thymol and oxalic acid.

Ari

Ari Seppälä   MMM
Projektipäällikkö  Project Manager
Suomen Mehiläishoitajain Liitto r.y.