From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2014 07:42:00 +1000
>I have observed supercedure after marking a queen.  Maybe it was coincidence, but now I only mark banked queens and age marked queens before introduction. Anybody have similar experiences?  JL, Bel Air, MD, USA

I marked queens for many years and had no problems with supercedure.  I requeened every 12 months and I had about 80% plus of marked queens present after 12 months.  I used freshly caught queens and they were not from banks.

Graham Kleinschmidt did some work with banked queens here in Australia back in the 80's and found that queens banked for more than about 25 days were often superceded after a few weeks when introduced to hives.  There had been complaints from Canada back in the 80's of queens from New Zealand being superceded not long after introduction.  New Zealand did a lot of banking of queens before sending to Canada.  As Australia had just gained access to Canada for queen bees, Klienschmidt's work was commissioned to see what could be done with banked queens to make sure they did not supercede.

Trevor Weatherhead
Australia

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 10385 (20140908) __________

http://www.eset.com