From:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 1996 23:17:12 PST
Greetings Bee Liners
 T-Mites.  Yes in UK We do seem to have many bees that are immune or tolerant
of the Acarine mite.  I have kept 20+ colonies for  20+ years and no problems
with it so far!  It does appear occasionally though and there is a small
controversy here as there is no officially approved treatment for it.  My own
conviction,  given our fortunate circumstances, is that any hive sick with
acarine should be requeened immediately.  Certainly the Queen heading that
colony should be culled.  Selective breeding implies active removal of
genetically suspect strains as well as selection of queens showing positive
qualities.

 Bee sting allergy.  Surely the only advice to anyone who is truly allergic
to stings is DON'T KEEP BEES.  One sting will kill you if you pass into
anaphylactic shock.  Chapter 27 of Dadants Hive and the Honey Bee has an
excellent description of the complexities of allergic reactions.  But one
thing is certain.  There is no sting proof bee suit.  Beekeepers always get
stings.

WBC Hives  Congratulations to Sid Pullinger.  An excellent history of this
excentric hive.  Horrible to work but pretty to look at.  I have an empty WBC
in a flower bed.  It looks great and helps to sell honey to passers by. But
beauty is again only skin deep.

Regards to all.

Thanks for Honey Treat recipes!

Glyn Davies, Ashburton, Devon. UK