From:
Darrells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:35:24 -0500
Dear Bee Folks;

Have you ever had someone say to you that they can get honey at so and so's
for less than you are selling.  My answer (most often politely) is "Why not
purchase your honey there".  While I have only 9 hives, I always run out of
honey before I run out of customers.  I plan to expand my apiary only as
big as is necessary to supply my market.  I live in an area with many
tourists, especially in the fall when the leaves are turning colour (and
luckily the honey is ready for sale).  While much of my market is walk-by,
an increasing portion is people who return because, as they say;  "Your
honey is the best I have ever tasted".  Some of these people drive 50-100
Km. to buy my honey, while others (not yet loyal to me) are looking for
'NATURAL' honey and although their understanding of NATURAL varies, are
pleased to buy directly from a beekeeper.  I don't want to sell my honey,
for lower prices, to stores, packers or bargain hunters.  I encourage my
return customers to bring containers that I will fill at a much lower price
than my normal retail ($6.75/Kg retail, $4.40/ Kg in the customer's
container).  I will fill any size container for return customers, and have
one faithful lady who returns twice a year to have her 500 gm bottle
refilled.  Even though filling a small container could be seen as a waste
of time, the smile on her face is worth the trouble.  I guess my message to
you is; develop the market you wish to serve, and you will develop a loyal
clientel for your quality products.  Cheap imitations will not attract them
away.

Seasons Greetings
Bob Darrell
RR#2 Caledon, Ontario