From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2010 07:49:50 -0800
Bob, Kathy is absolutely correct.  All scientific trials need to be
replicated, often with slight tweaks, before the conclusions are widely
accepted.  Public dissing of good research or researchers (as you are want
to do) does not serve the beekeeping community well.

You may have noticed that beekeepers often ask questions that have already
been answered by older research.  As you pointed out, just look at all the
questions about HFCS, or the feeding of vinegar in syrup to attempt to
control nosema.

Or for that matter, the current questions about neonics.  Good research is
dismissed out of hand by beekeepers who simply don't like what actual data
indicates.  Which is why I want to get buy in from all beekeepers prior to
running any sort of neonic trial.

> >As for Randy I have been called worse than "full of hot air" and I
>
> am actually helping Randy on his neonicotinoid experiment.

For the List's benefit, Bob and I frequently correspond in a friendly
manner.  It's just fun to put on our little show in public.

>His exact words: "heck they were treating Randy like he was some kind of a
rock start"

Beekeepers are hungry for accurate, objective information. It's not about
the person, it's about the credibility of the information.

> >Another Christmas and a stocking full of rocks will hurt so need to be on
> my best behavior!

I hope you have a great Christmas, Bob!  I know that everything that you do
is with the best of intentions for the beekeeping community!

Randy Oliver