From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 08:53:53 -0700
Hi all on BEE-L
I have been asked this question in similar terms quite a
bit this month since ads came out in Bee Culture and ABJ
and giving reply back.
What do you all think?

> Hmmmm.......... seems odd that now they just start
advertising 4.9.  What do
>  you think is coming down the pike?

Reply:
You really want to know? Well, I think since there for
years were about 600-650 commercial beekeepers in the USA
nationwide and then since the early 1990s this has now
fallen to about 450 commercial, that in the next
two this number will now fall to about 100-150, maybe less
due to contaminated combs from putting various dopes into
colonies.

You cannot go backwards on the pesticide treadmill i.e.
from apistan/coumaphos to soft chemicals. Your hives will
crash! Likewise, you cannot go from soft chemicals to no
chemicals for they will crash also.
LIkewise, without getting off of the bigger artificially
enlarged combs they
will crash.

Remember that only about 10% of all the bees in the USA is
probably all that is good enough to survive if someone
seriously wants to save them.

But effort will be kept by the majority to keep the overly
man domesticated inbred lines that in Nature should have
died years ago. Remember in Nature there is no such thing
as a complex hybrid! ONly in man's artificial world do they
exist and we will all as a world industry now pay a high
price for this.

What is coming you ask!

Breeders collasping I think to some degree. Larger
commercial collasping also because they cannot continue
with residue topped-out contaminated combs and drug
resistant bees with brood dying from such contamination,
which means no way to change combs, to reestablish livable
broodcell conditions again.

What is coming with the 4.9mm foundation ads? Well, at
least they cannot say they weren't told there is an
alternate way to get off of the pesticide treadmill, hard
though it may be, with time left though short, to do so,
for those wishing to fight their way off.

Also I think these ads will spawn more ads of other types
for getting off of the pesticide treadmill with the
chemical control crowd.

 An international meeting has already been set up to look
into the world wide drug and pesticide contamination issue
by scientists, administrators
and legislative personnel this fall in Europe. But They
will talk and I don't think anything positive will come out
of the meeting for they will cover themselves and not
industry.

No change will be positive until industry does it
themselves, for the field is where the work must be done.

When the big crash comes and I think it will due to
procrastination, then the public will cry, but by then it
will be way too late.

Sincerely,

Dee A. Lusby