From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:44:21 -0600
Hi everyone,
Rod reports significant varroa mite drop in Missouri USA after using
Apistan treatment.  It really sounds to me like he is seeing mites in
his colonies that are resistant to fluvalinate the active ingredient
in  Apistan.  We have been finding such resistance showing up here in
MN in many  cases with on appearent connection between finds.  The
data from other parts of the world show that after about 10 years of
using fluvalinate you start to find varroa that are resistant.
Apistan resistance is rather widespread in the USA now but not uniform
by any means.  Rod appears to need an alternate treatment for the
varroa in his hives.

blane

Blane White
MN Dept of Agriculture