From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:10:12 -0400
> From: Bill Truesdell

> Which is what has been troubling me. If this is the natural state for
> comb production, it does not depend on anything and will be the way bees
> create comb wherever any support of any kind is found, in a manmade hive
> or in a tree or on a branch. But that does not seem to be the case, at
> least it has not been shown so.

Would not this be the usual state of all comb built in top bar hives, where
only a starter strip of wax (not foundation) is used?  It should be a simple
matter to open up a few such hives (if anyone on the list has this type) and
photograph this magical comb arrangement in the center of the box.

Assuming of course that this is the "normal" and "preferred" state of comb
for "natural" bees, not forced to live on manmade combs.

Karen