From:
Griggs Mike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:49:18 -0500
I have been following the dance language controversy.  Some of us are
interested in bees as a vocation, some as a science & some just for
the interest.

I feel as though I cross the gambit as I'm a side liner who is an
entomologist and just love bees.

I went to a presentation yesterday, that I have seen before, on
"House hunting by bees" as given by Dr. Tom Seeley  where he explains
how scout bees form a consensus by forming a quorum to decide between
a good home and a moderate home using the Dance Language.  House
scouts return & conduct a dance, which based on angle from vertical &
dance distance indicate location of prospective future hive site.

Could any  dance language opponents who have seen Tom's publications
on this explain to the group how the directional & distance cues
( angle of the dance from vertical & intensity of the waggle )
relayed to the other home scouts does or does not convey
information.  Is not the conveyance of this information not a
language?  This system presumably removes odor from the equation.

Tom's study, conducted on a remote island, with only his hive
locations seem to prove that he can judge from the dances which
distance & hive location the dancers are selecting.  He uses small
swarms, individually labeled bees & video camera's which he goes back
over to remove very specific data for his publications.

IMHO it would seem the argument is more over what constitutes a
language & not that information is being passed amongst bees.

Mike Griggs
Entomologist/ Support Scientist
Plant Protection Research Unit
USDA ARS, U.S. Plant, Soil & Nutrition Lab.
Tower Road, Ithaca, NY  14853
http://www.ars.usda.gov/naa/ithaca/ppru

phone:  607-255-1085
fax:        607-255-1132