From:
Michael Moroney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 1994 21:38:30 -0500
> >For all those out there that were gloves when working
> >over bee hives, try to do with out these as they tend to make you
> >less competent when handling frames.
>
> Gloves are the only protective clothing I generally tend to wear---but...
> Most folks wear heavy and unwieldy gloves.  I wear the thin plastic gloves
> that I wear for caving.

I'll have to check those out sometime.  Right now I don't wear gloves
since I shmoosh more bees with them, and the occasional bee crawling
on my hand doesn't really bother me.  (One buzzing around my head is
another story, to the point I'll have a tough time resisting swatting
it away, even though I KNOW that's wrong.  But a veil is the crutch I need,
wearing one and an angry bee doesn't bother me in the least)

Speaking of smooshing bees, in the peak of summer when the hives are
full, there are always bees on the top edge of the hive body when you go
to replace the inner cover or a super.  What's the best trick to keep
from killing so many?  Brushing them away doesn't work, since they crawl
back out on brushed edges when brushing another?  I feel guilty killing so
many bees whenever putting a hive back together.

-Mike