From:
B Farmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2013 19:48:29 -0500
>But what's the solution for market excesses?  Usually that happens to be
government regulation.

A free market will cure market excesses.  Government regulations only distort a market, and cause excesses in other areas than they are messing with.  Anyone want to go back to government price controls on honey?

>Anyway back to bees, without regulation what's to prevent growers from
spraying whatever they want whenever?  Not all of them are dependent on
pollinators after all.

The cost of sprays is one thing.  Growers don't want to spend a penny on sprays more than is absolutely necessary.   Most people really are responsible with their own money...and if they aren't, they go out of business pretty quick.

Also, if a beekeeper has a pollination contract with the grower, they can write into the contract agreements on spraying.

Keep in mind that growers own the land, and they have rights.  Beekeepers own the beehives, and the contents of the hives.  We do not own free-flying bees, as we do not have dominion over them.

Growers who are dependent on pollination will also be cautions about using sprays that kill pollinators.  If they wipe out the pollinator population, that invisible hand of the market wipes out their crop.  The other growers who did not kill off the pollinators have a crop to sell, and their crop is more valuable due to lower supply because the growers who killed the pollinators don't have a crop to sell.

>I'm personally glad there are regulations despite the problems we still have.

I'm personally not glad there are regulations, because it makes problems worse than they would otherwise be.