Date:
Sun, 22 May 2016 16:29:24 -0400
Thanks Dan. I did go to Randy's site earlier but he concentrates on the
dribble method, which I have used. My results were mixed.

I found

https://oxavap.com/information/

as the best site for info on vapor and it seems to be parroted throughout
the web.

What I find appealing about the vapor is the heavy damage to the mite while
there seems to be none to bees and brood. That is a consistent comment by
beekeepers and researchers. Plus there is a great amount of leeway with the
amounts used with no damage. Early treatments were in the 4-6 gm range and
the beekeepers bemoaned the fact that they might have been too low. Now the
accepted amount is 1gm per deep so 2 gm is fine for a normal 2 deep hive.

My question on persistence came form a graph on OA vapor treatments that
showed a steady increase in varroa kill over the first week before it
levels off. That would seem to imply the now deposited OA in the hive was
still killing Varroa. Randy's graph indicates the same.

65% Formic Acid pads (not Mite-away), based on an observation by a user,
seem to be dried out after the first day. The original treatment with the
pads was 5-6 treatments every 4-5 days so you would cover  a brood cycle.
The pads seem to be directed to mites outside the cells, not capped
brood.Same as the OA vapor.

OA vapor is 3 treatments every 7 days when brood is present. Again, the
implied persistence.

The kill mechanism for OA has been hypothesized that it enters the mites
through their foot pads. That also would imply persistence and account for
the increasing kill over a span of time. It is interesting that the guess
has become fact. Maybe it is but I have seen no research on it.

So we have a treatment that only kills mites in the open but does so in the
high 90% kill rate. It is easy on the bees, can be used weekly (as some do
in the summer), and is easy to use.

Its major drawback is toxic vapor, but, after refinishing my bathroom tub
and tile with Rust-oleum tub and tile re-finisher, the OA will be in the
hive and not all around me (the tub turned out great). If you have ever
refinished a tub, you know what I mean. You would be dead without a
respirator.

Add that you can use OA vapor early in the year when the hive is broodless
and get a great start to the year with nearly no disruption to the cluster.
You can also treat after the season to get them through the winter mite
free.

I see no drawback to the vapor. Fewer treatments than formic pads (but not
the quick strips). No harm to the bees while formic can do a number on
brood, bees and queens. Last year the quick strips left my carpet pads in
front of the hives covered with dead bees and brood.

Even the OA drip can harm bees and will set them back in the spring
compared to OA vapor.

No opening the hive or heavy lifting, a major selling point for me at my
age.

Really simple to use as I just drive out on my 12v lawn tractor with the
vaporizer, a measuring spoon (calibrated for 2 gm), my respirator, some
duct tape, and the OA. Then five minutes per hive with no heavy lifting.
What is not to like.

End of informercial.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine