Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 04:10:13 -0600
> I will be shaking a bunch of them as Allen suggested to see where we stand
> going into the winter, may be it will give us an idea on who are the
> survivors when spring comes and build up from those hives.

If you do this before and after the Apistan has been in a while (~three
weeks), you'll have an idea how well the Apistan is working, even though it
will be getting late for other measures.  There are some cold weather
treatments which can work, like oxalic, but I don't know if they are legal
in your area.  At any rate, keep us informed if you like.

> AFB has been in neighboring towns this summer. Always something to
> think/worry about.

Yes.  We have to assume that AFB is always around, though.  If it shows up
in your outfit to any extent, either there is a very potent source nearby,
and/or your bees are susceptible and you might want to consider requeening
with better stock.

> Jumping from two hives to 50 more has been an adventure... now the bees
> have to live.

Good luck.