From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:53:42 -0500
>.  Who knows, maybe this will be an exception.

Too late to find out now. The plan would have had to been set in place many
years ago.

Albert Einstein when asked about a possible polar shift being a cause of the
dinosaurs being frozen with fresh grass in their stomachs said a polar shift
could have happened based on physics.

After being raised in a time when burning all hives with AFB did not stop
the losses. Then at the darkest moment in beekeeping history a drug saved
the industry was discovered at a university in Missouri I can attest to the
destructive nature of AFB>

Although we will never know for sure I (like Einstein felt about the
possibility of a polar shift) believe that the plan to place the foulbrood
tainted feed in the remote area *could* have stopped the progress and all
hives moving through the area would die within months.

Swarms (if any) which made it through *would not* carry a new resistant AFB
( as Keith suggests) but the bees would simply be resistant to the AFB which
is common the world over. Rothenbular, Tabor , Purvis and others have said
bees which can survive AFB could be bred although no one to my knowledge has
come up with such a bee.
From my personal experience ( 48 years beekeeping) I see a bee able to
function normally with AFB as a pipe dream. I have looked over many attempts
by others but never had the interest to keep a hive with AFB around the
place.

Tabor kept hives around with AFB for decades ( personal conversation with
Tabor)  trying to find a bee to tolerate AFB but no hive can thrive (in my
opinion) with such a loss of workers as even light cases of AFB can cause.

bob