From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2017 18:19:46 -0300
On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Janet L. Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I think geographic isolation would be a tremendous advantage IF we saw it
> in terms of creating Varroa-free or Varroa-low zones...or to put it another
> way stopped moving mites and disease organisms all over the place.

this could be done by frontier/barrier/exclution or by
treating/inspection/quarantine
Migrating or not migrating colonies allowed.

I live on an small peninsula with open farm fields as the one non-water
> boundary: we could aspire to meeting our own bee needs (perhaps importing
> only promising queens to boost genetic diversity if needed) IF we worked as
> an area cooperative and IF those farm fields did not host hundreds of
> pollination hives annually.
>
> The chicken and the egg or should I say "market you know". Someone have to
fullfill the area cooperative pollination needs, that probably is quite
concentrated in time, and wonder if the area can hold year round enough
colonies to again, year after year, provide the pollination needs.