From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2008 15:40:47 +0000
Hi Mike

Can't comment on Chile, but here in the UK diesel is currently $10.82 per gallon (1.20 UK pounds per litre).

So that pollination fee of $65 would buy only 6 gallons of diesel, around a third of the quantity you can buy in the US.  Other types of fuel, maybe 10% more for your pound/dollar.

I have to say though that in the UK our blueberries are usually grown in smaller fields in areas with enough native pollinators and stationary hives to pollinate them!  Then again we generally import blueberries from afar, and I haven't a clue what the monetary or environmental cost of all that aviation fuel amounts to.

all the best

Gavin