From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2009 10:39:19 -0400
On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 08:34:41 +0100, Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Juanse:
>
>> That is why I do not think the browning is due to propolis but rather the
>> cocoon or the heat of the brood or something done by the bees on the wax,
>> from the inside or outside of the cell, but not from propolis.

Then how do you account for the fact that in an old hive, all of the wax (ie., brood comb, honey
comb, burr and brace comb) -- all of it is dark brown or even black.

I submit that the entire inside of the hive is covered with propolis eventually, and that the bees
cannot help but track it everywhere on their feet. This would account for the travel stain on fresh
honey comb and it accounts for the gobs of propolis all over the openings of a hive that is being
robbed.

Sort of like some honey houses I have seen. Once honey gets on the floor and equipment, pretty
soon it is everywhere. That's why a honey house without a way of frequently and thoroughly
washing down the walls, floors, and everything, is purgatory. Some of them (I am not making this
up) have permanent layers of wax on the floors.

plb