From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2015 10:02:12 -0500
> What would be the parameters of a good
> cost/benefit analysis on the benefits of
> noxious weed control versus lost forage
> to managed and native bees be?

One of the essential reasons why an "invasive plant" is so invasive is that
they tend to consistently provide better rewards to pollinators, and get
propagated more often than the plants they out-compete.  So, while Purple
Loosestrife is hated by most of civilization, beekeepers make good crops
from it.

Also, one man's weed is another man's crucial ecosystem plant.  Clover used
to be included in grass seed for "heathy lawns".  Now everyone seems to
think that Tiger Woods might drop for some badly-needed putting practice in
their front yard from the way they "weed" their lawns.  But unlike Purple
Loosestrife, clover is not going to out-compete anything, and will not choke
a stream into a pond, or choke a pond into a swamp.

Here's the deal I'd offer to suburbia - "Go ahead and outlaw noxious
invasive plants, and use tax dollars for eradication, but at the same time
legislate a requirement for the return of clovers and lawn violets to grass
seed mixes.  Lawn violets!  Remember them?  My sisters would make dozens of
"vases" of them, using up all the shot glasses in the liquor cabinet.

Here's the deal for rural areas - "Acre for acre greenbelt/meadow
replacement for every acre of "invasive" eradicated.  Offer some property
tax credits, and watch people jump at the chance to establish meadows in
their lower 40, down by the stream.

Here's the deal for urban areas - "One new tree planted (did someone say
Basswood? Yes, they did!) for every quarter-acre of "invasive" eradicated.

But I'm dreaming.  Beekeepers are never an effective lobbying force, as we
lack the numbers to be considered a "constituency".  You have to combine
forces with the gardeners, as they outnumber beekeepers by at least 10 to 1.
Dunno what their agenda/goal would be on any of this.