From:
Judy and Dave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 16:07:38 -0500
Richard:

After reading your post, Dave and I decided to check out our bees and
see what they are bringing in.

Kentucky weather this year has been a surprise.  I think all the
animals, plants and bugs are confused.  Last night, at midnight, when
many neighbors were outside with guns and shotguns making noise, there
were a bunch of turkeys on the hillside squawking and gobbling like
crazy.  Turkeys never gobble at midnight or when it is dark.

Anyway, the temperature was in the mid 60s.  We have 8 hives.  Only one
hive was busy flying in and out.  (We certainly checked for robbing)
The hive flying was Buckfast.  The Italians and Carniolans were humming
but not flying as much.

Sat and watched the landing board.  Didn't see any red pollen.  But we
noticed 4 dandelions in full bloom on the way up to the hives.

I did call another beekeeper who doesn't live in the valley like us.  He
said his bees were bringing in a little bit of maple pollen.  I asked
what it looked like.  He laughed at my ignorance, but told me it is
red.  Our valley seems to have a micro climate that is almost a full
USDA Zone colder than the surrounding hilltops, working out to about a 2
week delay for blooming.

Judy
Also in Kentucky, USA