From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:08:34 +0800
Several of the "lurkers" who have emerged, have commentedon the intensity of
the debate on the contentious issue of the impact of the latest generation
of insecticides on bees. Are the neonicotinoids responsible for the decline
in vigour of managed bee populations around the globe? (And indeed other
important pollinator insect species.) Expert opinions seem to vary from one
extreme to the other, and strongly held opinions are seemingly immune to
change despite evidence presented to the contrary. Oh yes, and as with any
other hotly contested argument, the occasional "conspiracy theory" emerges.

 Its probably fair to say that the jury is still considering the evidence,
and many of us witnessing this debate are still holding our breath, unsure
where the truth lies.

The whole scenario reminds me very much of a similarly contentious public
debate that took place over many years about another health issue, namely
smoking and cancer. I grew up wondering why despite all the research
evidence linking tobacco smoking to so many health issues, smoking continued
amongst my family and friends, encouraged by advertising, legalised and
therefore endorsed by governments. Denial was rife, and it seems to me that
it took almost 50 years for it to die away.The tobacco industry is still
with us, but at least denial of the research results amongst smokers seems
to have largely gone.

 In the same time frame I have witnessed the serious societal impacts of
other problematic substances, such as DDT, and asbestos, developed and
disseminated in good faith, but with devastating impacts, which when the
association was realised caused governments to act and ban them. As we know,
in the case of the neonicotinoids, some governments have acted and imposed
bans.The debate continues, and will do for some considerable time yet, I am
sure.  But I for one, am grateful for the opportunity to have Bee-L bring
that debate to me, blow by blow. As a beekeeper, I have a vested interest,
even if the T-shirt does declare "Innocent bystander".

Peter Detchon
Western Australia