From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 2015 13:38:04 -0500
This is an interesting and informative discussion and I think the case for continuing education and many years of practical experience have been well stated. A personal story comes to mind. Years ago I thought it would be fun to learn to juggle. I got a set of bean bags and after a while could keep three in the air so moved on to hard balls and more. In time my brother and I could keep six balls in the air and pass then between each other. We thought we were pretty good. As a birthday surprise my wife got me some clubs (bowling pins) and related her trip to the magic shop. She went in and told the shop keeper that her husband had "mastered" the balls and she wanted a set of clubs. He coolly looked at her and quietly stated that "so far no one has ever MASTERED the balls". So after nearly 40 years of successful beekeeping and a certificate that says that I am a master I consider myself a continuing student that can help some and learn from more. The over riding need is to educate the new beekeepers in the sound science and practical application of the craft. All of the mentioned courses I believe do that and are to be applauded. The question is how to counter the junk science and misinformation that prevails on the internet and elsewhere? (BEE-L) is a great place to keep up, thanks.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA