From:
Rimantas Zujus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 11:48:25 +0100
Hi, David, Anthony and All

>Do you have a picture?

I haven't seen this double hive myself yet. I have only a profile section
drawing of it made by hand. I scanned it and can send directly for you. The
designer A.Palskys have no neither photos nor suitable for publishing
drawings yet  but he is going to publish an article in a local paper. Maybe,
this will influence for creating serious pictures. He says the hive is very
simple to make and no need for papers.

>1. How are the two colonies separated at the brood level - a solid
wall, wall with screened openings or what?

A solid wall continuing up to the very top of "supers".

>2. How are the queens kept out of the super level - queen grid?
If no queen grid how are they kept from physical contact with each
other?

Full isolation by inner solid wall.

>3. accessing the brood frames through the super level after removing
6 or so super frames sounds awkward to say the least; but how is this
possible, surely the ends of the frame tops will be trapped between
the two levels of box - unless the upper box has larger internal
dimensions which implies over large bee-space at the frame ends?

It's really awkward and it takes more time. But positive results request
more strength of a beekeeper. Two additional not fixed boards per one colony
are used - front and rear of suitable thickness and height in supers level.
(Four boards for one hive)

>4. Is the two queen principle used because they stimulate each other
to lay better or is there some other reason?

In the List (Bee-L) some member witnessed the positive influence even via
board. As well, the two blocked hives with a common wall save heat. The bees
of both colonies are quite separated. This isn't  a case of real two queen
colony with common bees.

Good luck for those who "have hands" :)

Rimantas Zujus
Kaunas