From:
joe carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 15:56:25 -0800
You are right that this is late.  Too late but it is a test.  The truth is
that I have been way to busy and I thought better to test than wait another
year.  I will know if late fall/early winter is possible.  I will leave them
in the bus all year.  The only problem I have read about is the potential
for bacteria.  I found pics of German wagons with bee in them (circa 1880's)
all year and moved throughout the year.  There were holes of various sizes
and shapes on the outside of the wagon where the bees entered.  I hope to do
the same on the bus.  As to nucs or full size, there are both.  I hope to
see positive results from both.  The hives have no wind or snow on them so
they are extremely active and downing the sugar water.  Obviously a critical
time.  Honey stores are slim so hoping to see the sugar water carry them
through.  Carrying them into the bus was a bit of work and a bit exciting as
well.  I have steps now so no real crisis in the transferring.  I now of a
bus for sale cheap with a wheelchair lift that works well.  That would be an
ideal way to wheel the hive over and then just raise to bus floor level.   I
am going to try to devise a secure system to secure them to the floor should
I move the bus to a field of fireweed.  I do not want to be driving and have
30 hives, three stories high fall over.  Would be a sight to be pulled over
by the Troopers.  As this is a Nuc thread I will humbly depart.

Dr. Joe Carson