From:
Chuck Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:22:15 -0400
To the List,

I have been working on a series of articles with the theme of raising your
own queens; much of the material has been focused on the American queen
industry and the queens available to citizens in the US and Canada with
proper permitting. Some of the queens here in the US have special traits
and characteristics in that they show resistance to various diseases and
parasites while others are simply common to their breed. That’s fine and
dandy for those readers in North America; but I am sure that readers in
lands far away on other continents have their own agenda available and
research is being conducted for combating the same problems that exist
here and possibly more. Moreover, I believe that there are some countries
that legally import American queens, I would like to know all about such
cases.

My not having access to current internationally published research nor
knowing what queens and their characteristics are available on the market
all over the world gives my natural curiosity a sharp sting. So I ask of
the many readers of BEE-L all over the World to help me understand your
own queen markets and the research that is recent and current in order
that an article can be brought to fruition giving an up to date status of
the World wide problems that us beekeepers face and the genetic lines of
defense available.

If you wish please response to the email address below or you are welcome
to reply with a BEE-L posting.

With sincere appreciation and thanks,

Chuck Norton

Norton’s Nut & Honey Farm