From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 20:43:45 -0500
   Bob said that he likes the ph of his
> sugar syrup to be nearly neutral (although a search I did seemed to
> indicate that 6 is more normal for sugar syrup.

Only going by what I have been told by beekeepers and the plant manager. I
think he said that between 6-8 is correct and outside that range the
beekeeper should be concerned.

He said he never puts scrap sucrose in barrels with a PH out of the above
range.

  But a search on honey seemed to
> indicate that 3.5 to 4.5 is the normal range with 3.9 being average
> (Wikipedia, National Honey Board, ....)

When we were feeding HFCS our PH was always between 3.5 to 4 ( like the load
Stan picked up.)

A friend in California mixes 42% HFCS with sucrose 50/50. I wonder what his
ending PH is?

I will call the KC plant manager and see what he has to say as he sells HFCS
& sucrose to the largest of beeks in the four state area. He was the main
person which brought my attention to watching the PH of sucrose I buy. I
have only been feeding sucrose for two years. I fed HFCS for decades.

I am considering feeding a load of 50/50 mix to test next spring as the KC
plant handles both products.
HFCS is still quite a bit cheaper than sucrose but I suspect will never
return to the .12 a pound we paid for years.(tanker load)

I will post after I talk to the plant manager tomorrow.

bob