From:
"Dr. Reimund Schuberth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 19:47:16 +0100
-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Chris Leo Chatfield <[log in to unmask]>
An: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: Dienstag, 8. Dezember 1998 07:54
Betreff: Oxylic Acid and Varroa

Hi Mr.. Chatfield,

there are several organic acids used to kill varroa mites in the hive. A lot
of experiences were made about this theme. Let me tell you s.th. more about
the advantages and disadvantages of these methods of fighting the pest from
my personal point of view.

Formic acid - it is very difficult to control the evaporation of this
substance inside the hive. (Evaporation depends mainly on the temperature
during
medicamentation) There are a lot of different constructions (apparatus) to
control the evaporation. If evaporation is too low there will be no usage,
if evaporation is too high there will be a lot of bee killing. Only some of
the evaporators can be recommended nowadays. I have lost some good queens 3
years ago by too much evaporation of formic acid inside the hive. It was
very painful for me.

Often brood is damaged. But the varroa mite can also be killed inside of
brood chambers. Formic acid is an undangerous substance if little amounts of
formic acid get into the honey. The method is practicable for the
experienced beekeeper.

Oxalic acid - it is used as a solution together with sugar in water and
dropped on the bees in the hive. You have to be sure that there are no brood
combs (in autumn) because the varroa cannot be killed in the brood combs.
The second way to use the oxalic acid is by spraying a solution of this
substance on the bees at the combs. The results are very good for the second
way of application but the beekeeper has to protect himself with a gas mask,
gloves etc.. Because of the amount of work it is a practical method only for
the beekeeper with a few hives. The first method is very easy but the
scientists tell us nowadays that there is some killing of bees, which fly
out of the hive and don't come back. The hives can become very weak by this
way of therapy. The oxalic acid can be dangerous for man if incorporated
into of the human body. Personally I have never used this method.

Lactic acid - it has to be sprayed on the bees just like the oxalic acid
solution. I have used it once in my life for fighting varroa in splits. The
substance is harmless and also used as an additive in food production
(conservation). The disadvantage is that spraying on every comb with bees on
it needs a lot of time. It's also a method just for the hobby beekeeper.

Sincerely

Reimund J. Schuberth
Beekeeper in Germany (Bavaria)
Queen Rearing of Carniolan Bees
Insemination Station
500  North, 110  East

PS: Although I'm in a hurry and my English becomes worse, I hope I could
explain the advantages and disadvantages of the different methods of usage.
All was in a short. Details if necessary.