From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:42:29 EDT

I copied Predrag's mail from Serbia to a correspondent in Bosnia ( a  2nd
year beekeeper) who comments:

"Livno, Western Bosnia 730 metres above sea level (hives location)

 The Vojvodina account does seem to leave no room for manouevre - it  has
to be the use of the farming chemicals or it would be replicted over the
mid-balkana area which it isn't - did some tinkering with Xxxx's bees today and
 he smoked them for varroa  - he confirms losses at 8 colonies which he
attributes to the extreme cold and hot fluctuations within a short
turnaround....his uncle has confirmed 50 hives died over the winter from his 200
strong colonies.....no real answer why on those but we are asking for an idea
and may get one soon........Xxxxx being a serving policeman is off to
Budapest  tomorrow for a two months course and is looking to travel back every
fortnight,  couldn't have come at a more difficult time.

I had a look at my remaining six from 9 and they seem active - well I start
 to clean them out tomorrow and and will then smoke them too - then its a
case of  repairs repairs repairs. We both worked without gloves today; thanks
it is a lot  better."

I shall enquire as to with what he is smoking for varroa.

Chris