Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:56:04 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
At 07:36 AM 3/13/2006, you wrote:
>Is there a method that would be best suited for a small experienced
>beekeeper completely new to queen rearing?  Thanks

For all the overly complicated methods I've read, queen rearing really is relatively simple and most of the things you have probably already done as a beekeeper.  (Making splits, finding the queen, etc.)    For raising small numbers of queens there is little need to use more complicated schemes involving cell starter hives, finisher hives and incubator hives which are really optimal for large queen production.  Nor is there any reason to do the isolation of the queen to ensure a full frame of brood of the right age.  It's much easier to just pick a frame and select larvae of the right size/age when you only need a few dozen at a time.

Grafting is probably the hardest part and does take a little practice.  You can start by practicing with larger larvae and work your way down.  You may want to have more than one type of grafting tool handy as everyone seems to have their preference.  I like the German stainless steel one myself, but others like the Chinese one (I hated it and never got it to work right at all), and some use homemade ones.  Other than a little practice, I think it's more predictable than graft less methods and involves less manipulation and is cheaper than some such as the genter system.

Glenn apiaries has a very good description of how to raise queens at http://members.aol.com/queenb95/queenrear.html
It's basically what I used when I started raising queens 5 to 10 at a time, and is still what I use now when raising 50+ at a time.  It's a very strait forward description and doesn't get caught up in all the variations and extras you can add to the plan.

-Tim

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

ATOM RSS1 RSS2