From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2010 15:27:54 -0500
>I've heard Mike Palmer talk (and post) about the Dadant wax rendering
>operation...the on site apiary developed AFB resistance when they accepted
>comb with scale....this resistance disappeared when they stopped accepting
>comb with scale.

It is common knowledge the temp used for making foundation will not kill AFB
spores. Nor will the temp Dee uses to recycle her *bad* AFB comb.

>Mike Bush quotes Richard Taylor (quoting another beekeeeper) that his cure
>for AFB is to combine the diseased colony with the strongest colony in the
>yard.

Interesting but science does not support the hypothesis. Not a method I
would use or recommend. Kind of surprised the internet bee guru Mike Bush
would support such a method.

>I've seen a small amount AFB scale in Dee's operation...anything bad goes
>into the truck (with all the other equipment) and wax is eventually
>rendered for foundation, anything with less than 6 cells of scale is left
>in the field.  AFB is well below 1% in her operation.

recycling "bad" ( heavily AFB contaminated comb which should have been
burned) is a poor beekeeping practice. Dee should have plenty of good comb
do use without recycling "bad" comb. incidentally beekeepers using the
practice is one reason why AFB almost wiped out beekeeping years ago.
Burning is a permanent cure!

6 cells are not worth leaving in my opinion but then Dee has a different
mindset than most beekeepers.
I would simply treat as the beekeepers which run bees in yards with mine
would not be happy with me not treating for AFB . The bees are sick with
American foulbrood so like a serious disease I would try and cure the
patient. Others like some religious orders believe a higher power will solve
the problem.

I really doubt AFB is below 1% in her operation. Sounds good.

>I recommend people NOT use these practices in general...but the fact that
>these practices work suggests to me that something is wrong and out of
>balance if the vast majority of beekeepers today find it necessary to
>either treat or burn affected (and adjacent) equipment.

You keep bees your way and the best of luck. Seriously! My way works very
well and I run a profitable operation.
Hobby and sideline can use whatever method works for those beekeepers. Many
ways to keep bees. I have lost many hives in my 50 years of beekeeping. I
have learned from past mistakes. One thing  I have learned is to only
experiment with what others say and especially with methods off the
internet.

bob