From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:52:27 -0800

> >"Systemic Insecticides - a Disaster in the Making"
> I will definitely read and report to the list my opinion on the book.
> Others will not read and still give their opinion on the book

I have read all the way through, and had previously read Dr Tenneke's
published research, and further corresponded with other researchers whose
work he cites.

Tenneke's book is a stretch.  I agree that contamination of  surface waters
by pesticides is a serious issue, as I have a background in aquatic
invertebrates, and have been involved in benthic macroinvertebrate
monitoring in Sierra streams.  But we digress from bees, other than that
they could be poisoned by drinking from farm puddles.

The main focus of Tenneke's book is on birds, many species of which are
declining in Europe, which he details.  However, he notes the decline of
these species even in Dutch national parks (where I suspect that there is
little pesticide spraying), of those that migrate in from Africa (ditto),
and those that live in alpine regions (ditto ditto).  He makes no attempt to
explain the trend of decline of those populations that are not exposed to
pesticides.

I deplore the negative human influence upon biodiversity, but do not feel
that Tenneke's new book adds any meaningful data to the discussion.

Randy Oliver