From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 13:07:36 -0700
>Is it really essential to maintain "bee space" between
>the top bars and the bucket lid during the few weeks I would be feeding
>this spring?

Fact:  You must keep the meniscus(es) formed at the opening(s) in your
inverted pail from touching the topbars.  If you do not, wicking will occur
and your syrup will drain out.  This may or may not be a problem, depending
on the rate of loss and the colony's ability to take it up.  Depending on
the container, the necessary space may be achieved by a rim on the lid.
However, some lids with rims are so flimsy that the weight of the syrup
pushes the center down substantially, thus it makes contact with whatever
surface the pail is resting on and wicking occurs.  One manufacturer of
feeder pails had to recall several thousand 2.5 Gal. pails becuase they
bowed so much they made contact with the edge of a 2" hole in the inner
cover .

Opinion:  A gallon a week is a lot of syrup in the spring  (I can only speak
for our conditions and management). We use frame feeders which they empty
out in a couple of days, but a check shows they have just moved it into the
combs. I have seen colonies plug themselves out with feed in the spring, so
be careful and observe the conditions within the hive (When doubt feed, just
don't over do it).  More importantly with no inner cover, you will be
creating a situation where the bees must regulate the temperature in a much
larger area.  In spring we can ill afford to loose the heat up into an area
where the bees cannot cluster.  Brood rearing would suffer greatly.

David Tharle
Ardmore, AB