From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2019 09:28:32 -0400
Hi All

I have had one hive on a platform scale in my apiary since 1970’s.  I weigh the hive most evenings in the honey season to gauge the incoming nectar.  All hives are not the same and therefore don’t increase or decrease at the same rate but the scale hive will normally follow the trend.
When trying to determine hive weights after the autumn nectar flow supers are removed, I construct a T-bar out of two pieces of 2x4 held together with a strap hinge. The long 2x4’s length should be longer than the height of the highest hive in the apiary from the ground to the top of the hive, telescoping cover removed.  The shorter 2x4 is a lever attached to the top of the long with the hinge such that 1/3 hangs over the hive.  Using an electronic baggage scale attached to the short end of the lever with a screw hook and a rope under the back of the bottom board, lift the back of the hive by pushing down on the long end of the short 2x4.  Read the scale when the reading is stable.  When all hives, including the scale hive have been “weighed” compare the readings of each with the hive scale weight, showing the actual weight of the scale hive.  If desired, the front of each hive can also be “weighed”.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W