From:
"Pehling, Dave" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 2010 10:41:06 -0800
>I am looking for a 16 hour curriculum, including resources (DVDs, Powerpoints,
>books, etc.), to help prospective beekeeping candidates begin their beekeeping
>hobbies.

A couple years ago we started teaching the Washington State Apprentice Beekeeper course at WSU Extension Snohomish County.  We teach three classes each year to full classrooms (we allow about 30 for each class in order to provide more personal attention).

We cover the 10 chapters in the textbook in 5 classes (3 hrs. per class), 2 chapters per session.  Info on the WSBA "Master Beekeeper Program" is at http://www.wasba.org/master.htm .  Unfortunately, there are no other resources provided so I put together a small list of links that I've found useful at http://snohomish.wsu.edu/beeclass08.htm

The textbook has been recently updated to cover some of the more recent problems but you can find one of the older versions at http://captted.com/bees/beemanual/cb01.htm  We "tweak" the info for our local climate and conditions as we go.

cheers,

Dave Pehling
Interim Webmaster:  WSU Gardening in Western Washington
WSU Extension Snohomish County
600 128th ST SE
Everett, WA.  98208
425-338-2400