Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2010 00:11:32 -0500
Randy and all:
I just get the digest, so I'm sometimes slow to respond... but I
couldn't pass up this one!

I couldn't even read though the whole post. Suffice it to day, it's
complete gibberish. The author has taken random bits of scientific
literature out of context and strung it together to write something
that is scientifically incomprehensible. The endogenous defense
"toxins" he's referring to are, for the most part, polyphenolic
compounds like quercetin, rutin, & resveratrol - in other words, the
things that most food chemists call antioxidant, cancer
chemopreventative compounds. Resveratrol is a great example: it is a
phytoalexin, produced in high quantities by a plant in reaction to
pathogenic attack. It's also the compound in red wine that may
protect you from cancer and heart disease.

Good to question, sure, but this guy is way off-base. There is some
literature that suggests that organics, due to increased pest
pressure, produce more of these "endogenous defense toxins," to which
I say "Great!" Keep growing your vegetable organically! You are
definitely not poisoning yourself!

Kurt

Kurt Allerslev Reynertson, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmacology