From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2007 11:41:44 -0500
Hello All,

> Statistics show that Ontario peaked at 115,000 hives
around 1990 to about 75,000 today. That's a pretty significant decline.

In the U.S. the number of colonies peaked in 1947 and have been in a steady
decline ever since( Beekeeping in the U.S. no. 335).

Numbers of commercial beekeepers have been in steady decline but have really
dropped over the last two decades( with both mites and new problems).

In private conversation with my friend Randy Oliver we both agree if
commercial beekeepers do not  embrace quickly  to new methods of varroa
control, rotating comb and better nutrition for bees then the numbers of
commercial beekeepers will take another nose dive.

The California almond industry has been the single bright spot in commercial
beekeeping in the U.S. over the last decade and perhaps can be credited for
prolonging the death of the commercial  industry. Despite all the problems
with placing a million hives in a small area the pollination money has kept
many a commercial beekeeper solvent.

Many people believe that with tariffs and other legislation the honey market
will somehow be controlled. History shows you plug one loop hole and another
opens.

 Beekeepers have tried to keep honey prices stable in the U.S. as long as I
can remember and as history shows has not happened.

The price paid for honey is always an unknown element of commercial
beekeeping. The best solution for years was interest free CCC loans which
gave the beekeeper around nine months  to find a buyer without being forced
to sell his crop at a lower price in order to pay his bills.

The almond industry is willing to throw a huge amount of money at problems
beekeepers have got to help our industry. In fact the almond industry
provides beekeeping industry help faster than our own government when
needed. Quickly responded to the CCD need.

Even almond brokers like Mr. Joe Traynor which have set what many of us feel
is too high a standard for hives going into almonds ( almond Pollination
Handbook) have in the long run been a blessing for the industry as those
high standards force beekeepers to take better care of their hives and keep
colony strength up by providing better nutrition.

In the U.S. our weather people are saying we are going into a period of
climate change. The far thinking commercial beekeeper needs to adapt quickly
and  rethink his/her management plans for the next few years. Drop some
yards and perhaps relocate to other areas. Act quicker in the Midwest to
build winter bees. If  winters start happening like we are in now I am
thinking Texas. In my own opinion ( having done both) I believe bees winter
better in Texas than California.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--