From:
"Frank I. Reiter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:47:37 -0400
Lloyd Spear wrote:

> HOWEVER, it is less expensive to forgo the use of the homosote boards and=
>  instead provide a generous (3/8") upper entrance to just release the moi=
> sture from the hive.

For what climates would you give that advice, Lloyd?

I'm in my first year of beekeeping, approaching my first winter.
Temperatures around here this winter will probable be below -20C for weeks
at a time, and below -30C at times.  I'm having a terrible time figuring out
how much of the experience being shared here applies to my climate
(especially since few of the posters say much about the climate in which
they are having success with the methods they advocate.)

We've had our first frost now and I'm still not sure how I'm going to winter
my bees.

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen