From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2013 10:14:55 -0400
>What seemed out of whack with other data that I have seen was the level of Imidacloprid found in this stored pollen.  9.1% had imidacloprid, with an average of 30.8ppb.

 imidacloprid is the insecticide recommended in Florida for citrus canker.
Systemic and at first used year around. Now growers are *supposed* to stop uses before bloom.

Private testing of pollen from deadouts after hives were in orange had even higher amounts in pollen.

We are still at the identify the problem stage with the neonics as chemical companies say there is no problem.
Other than dust.

Admiting a problem means liabilities. (similar to the tobacco issue.)
Admiting a problem no matter the size can lead to a cure.

Certain desperate beekeepers are suing the EPA *in their opinion* because chemical companies refuse to take responsibility for the damage caused by their products.

Exactly what the tobacco lobby did and is typical of past problems with chemical company products.

Problems between beekeepers and chemical companies in Europe?

I only share because those beekeepers involved could care less what the bee lists think.(personal comversations)

 There concern is solving problems not discussion by people for the most part which have an opinion but not a horse in the race.

>I'm not a "ban the neonics" kind of guy...

Banning the neonics in the U.S. is not going to happen. Label changes is about it on some crops.
Chemical companies come to the table and *in my opinion* the banning the neonics drum might start beating.

isn't that what happened in Europe? Why not here?

>.but I also think of levels like these as higher than "field realistic".  There may be some skewing of the data (I'm sure there is), but this is worth a closer look.

The EPA is looking and will announce their findings in five years. Be patient beekeepers.

bob