From:
Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:19:03 -0000
In trials with beekeepers and bee institutes internationally over the past
six years we have seen very good varroa control levels using Apiguard alone.
In cooler areas we have found the efficacy to drop below the 90%+ normal
levels but never as low as Murray was aluding to. We have also seen that
under cooler conditions, the product can still work quite well but needs a
longer treatment period.

Our aims in developing Apiguard were to take a known acaricide and improve
upon its delivery, specially formulated for use in beehives. Thymol is used
in several other ways - raw or in other formulations but usually with
complicating factors of repeated treatments, high residues and adverse
effects on the colony.

With Apiguard the gel formulation the treatment is easy to apply and is
generally well-tolerated by the bees. In high temperatures, the bees
sometimes do form a beard outside but even at temperature of 40C+ absconding
is not that common. Using dry formulations or crystals the risk of adverse
effects is much high. Brood safety is very good with Apiguard also, as has
been proven many, many times in field use and in University/Institute
trials.

Residues in wax after Apiguard use are generally much lower than using
thymol alone or other formulations and will dissipate. [Murray the wax you
had that smelled of thymol was unlikely to be from Apiguard treatment as the
product was not available then].

We've been working hard on getting the regulatory data together for
registration of this product and believe me, for a European veterinary
registration this is a LOT of work and data - and Apiguard is now being
registered widely; some registrations came through in 2001 but most will
issue later this year.

We are not making out that this is a silver bullet, it's certainly not
perfect but it most definately is an effective varroa control agent. The
file attached lists tests which show very good results and some not so good.
When you've got pyrethroid, coumaphos and other pesticide-resistant mites,
or prefer greener methods an IPM approach including an Apiguard treatment
may just save your bees.

Max

Dr Max Watkins
Vita (Europe) Limited