From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:45:38 -0600
Dave said;
I have not have enough colonies over the last few years to be able to put
precise numbers on it, but within the colonies I have kept over the last 20
years I reckon as many as 25% would have had two queens, three queens is a
good deal rarer and I would reckon one hive in 200 to one hive in 300 having
three generations.

25%! Wow! If I was not starting a new beekeeping season and busy I believe I
would buy a ticket and come see for myself.

I would be willing to bet serious money that we could go through a hundred
of my hives and not find two queens together  this time of year!

Dave said:
I also think that two queens is more common than many think, simply because
they 'see' a queen and presume that she is the only one..

Dave said:
. They do not go looking for a second queen.

Surely you jest but on the other hand if 25% of my hives had two queens
happily laying together (and at times three?) I suppose you would need to
search further.

Could it be said then as above:

"They do not go looking for a third queen"

I enjoy your posts Dave and your web site! I have heard you talk of two
queens happily laying together for years but I never dreamed at a rate of
25%.

Hell I thought Roger's 5% seemed a bit high!

I guess we will have to flush a few lurkers out and find out what they are
seeing as far as two queens happily laying in a hive.

How about you hobby beekeepers which are digging through your hives every
four or five  days all year.  What are you seeing?

 My *opinion* is that what Dave is seeing is somehow a trait particular to
his Amm. bees or a trait enhanced somehow by his breeding program selection.
What say one of our list researchers?

Have you selected breeder queens Dave based on the occurrence of two queens
laying together happily in the hive?

Bob