From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:40:12 -0800

> >In any case, I'd like to discuss this here rather than waiting for your
> article :)

Dean, for once agree with your entire post  : )

I've developed an hour and a half ppt presentation on the subject that I've
given all over the US, Canada, and Australia, and that has been seen and
critiqued by the major bee breeding researchers in those countries.  I have
hundreds of pages of notes from scientific research of all fields of biology
on the subject, which I will condense down to a series of articles.

Bottom line--for stationary beeks, I suggest population-level selection of
locally-adapted stock using a large number of breeders each year, bringing
in inbred stock as drone mothers only, and being careful of what you
actually are selecting for.  I will detail the biological basis for the
above in articles.

Commercial migratory beekeepers will likely continue to ask for a more
universally adapted stock specifically tailored to their needs, and suspect
that this stock will change over time as stationary managed and feral
populations evolve.

Randy Oliver, not trying to be coy, but simply not room here