From:
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 1994 08:47:43 -0700
On Mon, 28 Feb 1994, Jack Turner wrote:

> According to Gary S. Reuter:
> >
> > GLOVES DON'T KILL BEES
> > BEEKEEPERS KILL BEES
>   Excuse if form is bad; I'm new to this.
> I was happy to see this comment.  I took a sting on the back of
> the hand last summer which resulted in a systemic reaction.  It
> was probably not life threatening (except my throat started
> closing).

Throat closure should be taken seriously.  I respond that way to things
other than bee stings.  My doctors warn me that I should always carry an
adrenaline/antihistamine kit.  If you are far from the Dr, you may not
make it - especially if you had had to drive yourself.

Although throat closure may not be as sudden as anaphylactic shock, it
should be taken seriously.

An inexpensive and very readable book concerning this topic is:  INSECTS and
ALLERGY and what to do about them.  Claude A. Frazier, M.D. and F.K. Brown.  1980.
University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, OK.

Jerry Bromenshenk
The University of MT

The main danger was my wife's driving as she took me
> off the mountain to see a doctor.

Maybe we should ask your wife for a second opinion?

  Anyway, I now wear gloves
> and prefer not to feel guilty or unmacho.

Good!