From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 07:56:06 -0500
When I first used that phrase, many years ago, it was directed more
toward climate than practices. Each of us has local conditions that mold
our beekeeping. The problem I saw with many posts was they universalized
practices in one area as the norm for all areas. Every time we get into
discussions about wintering practices, location clouds the issue. It
gets even more cloudy when you read about practices within a few miles
of the Arctic Circle, but find their winters are actually milder than yours.

I am a bit sorry I ever borrowed and modified the phrase (Tip O'Neil
originated it- All politics is local- have a nice signed photo of both
of us "Many thanks for your friendship and kindness", sent after one of
his close friends called him and tried to get me fired but failed).

The phrase can be used to justify local practices that might work but
are dead wrong. When I started beekeeping I relied on several local
beekeepers for information. This was pre mite. I had limited success and
was right there with the average yields per super for the state. So I
thought I was doing everything right. Locally I was doing what everyone
else did. It was not until I listened to real beekeepers, Tony Jadczak
and George Imire, that I found out how wrong I was. George lives in an
entirely different climate than I, but when I shifted to his methods, my
bees were healthier and honey yields increased five fold. All beekeeping
is not local. There are right ways and there are wrong ways. The problem
is bees are forgiving. You can kill off a quarter or more of the colony
because of your practices and they just have to try harder to survive
your incompetence.

I found that out recently. I thought I had arrived but know I am far
from it. I thought I was very smart in growing my own queens for my
area. For quite some time I enjoyed exceptional success, but I am now a
convert to buying queens and requeening with known stock. That is what
Tony and George do, but I though I found the grail. Instead I was
breeding bees that were prone to Sacbrood.

There are fundamental truths to keeping bees. All beekeeping is not
local, but climates are and they do influence beekeeping and all
agriculture (along with donning bikinis). So some beekeeping is local
but fundamental truths still apply.

"Successful beekeeper" is a relative term. As a hobby beekeeper I see
the same off-the-mark comments by some on the list that I shared years
ago. So I will pen a new slogan for the list.

Bees can mask incompetence.

Bill Truesdell (who is shifting to lurk mode- I am getting too cranky)
Bath, Maine