From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:43:47 +0200
Allen Dick wrote:

> Should we -- or do we -- have different spacings of excluder wire for
> different species/races of bees?
>
> What about those supposedly larger bees that the Europeans claim to get
> by renewing their combs every year or two?

Don't know about excluders, but I found there is some difference. Some years ago
I took a New Zealand made pollen trap with me home to try. The bees got really
upset about it, and when I checked it out they couldn't get through the holes.
So my bees got to be bigger than Kiwi bees....... without renewing the combs too
much. I think it's more a genetic factor, when NZ allows very little import of
new genetic material (if any). I think it was about 2/10 of a millimetre too
small. Only a few bees could squeeze through.

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden
[log in to unmask]  http://www.algonet.se/~beeman/