From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:55:03 -0500
I'm trying to  collect "helpful beekeeping hints." For instance, when I
first started out I would use a framing hammer to pound nails into my
frames. The heavy hammer was the wrong tool for the job, and I bent many,
many frame nails until someone suggested I get a tack hammer. In my youth I
didn't even know tack hammers existed. So I spent a few bucks, bought a
tack hammer and was AMAZED how easy was the task of assembling frames. The
proper tool for the job made a HUGE difference. So the helpful beekeeping
hint in this story was "tack hammer".

After many thousands of frames assembled with my tack hammer, I grew
impatient with wonky, not-square frames, and I invested in a frame jig.
Again, AMAED how the proper tool improved the chore. Faster assembly and
square frames! The helpful hint was "frame jig". These days, no longer a
hobbyist the helpful hint is full "plastic frames".

The helpful hints need not be limited to equipment, technique hints are
welcome also. As part of a Master Beekeeper course offered by Cornell
University I took an apprentice class offered by a new kid just starting
out of University in an extension position. The helpful hint offered by
Dennis vanEngelsdorp was, "You should stop wearing gloves." Sans gloves I
discovered I got bit more often by mosquitoes than I got stung by bees. And
I became a better beekeeper!

So those are the type of hints I hope esteemed contributors will offer.
What obvious, or maybe not so much, tips and techniques have you acquired
over the years that have helped you be a more masterful beekeeper?

Thanks in advance for your contributions,
Aaron Morris