From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:06:04 -0700
Paul wrote: > Randy, the long term objective of the native pollinator groups
(and
> some university professors who have collaborated with them)
> may be to secure government funding via the new Farm Bill to
> plant and manage "conservation strips" on farms.

 Thanks, Paul.  I was speaking with a beekeeper who returned from a European
vacation, so the info is third hand.
His understanding was that in the country he visited (some northern
European), agriculture was heavily subsidized.    Farmers received credits
toward their subsidies if they maintained a percentage of their land in a
"natural" state.  The system was totally voluntary, and the farmers loved
it.

Please don't start labelling me as a native pollinator advocate.  I haven't
even visited their websites.  But I sure don't have any problem with them.

My income depends upon the bare-earth monoculture of California almonds.
But it does creep me out when I'm in the orchards, and you can count the
total number of visible species of flora and fauna on one hand.

Randy Oliver