From:
Tom Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 1996 23:28:20 -0400
Thanks for your great letter on making drones and drone cells.I had agreat
time reading it. I am trying color background on AOL3.0 tosee if it has any
deleterious
effects on transmission.
Back to the drones. To begin with I am small only 3 colonies at this time
down from 5 last year. Two of thew queens and colonies are new this year
after a disastrous winter. The carry over from last year is doing the best
 and I am looking forward to having four supers of  honey this season on that
hive. Of the new ones only one will have and surplus. There are few drones in
either of these hives and not many in the best hive. I counted less that
forty drone cells in the either chamber. The queen is working both the upper
and lower brood areas at this time.
Am I correct in believing that the queen will only create drones when she is
not performing well in laying and anticipates a supercedure or an swarm???