From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:22:04 -0600
Our local bee association has been donating money to Heifer International to
promote beekeeping in third world countries.  They ask for $30 USD to place
a colony in an area they serve.  Wow!  I wonder how they can do it for that
price.  Our concern is that we now find that Heifer is not able to tell us
where our donation is going or even that it is acutally put towards bees.
It goes where there is need.  Worthy?  Yes, but we are particularly
interested in promoting the honey bee.

Question to the list... has anyone had experience with a charity that
promotes beekeeping as a means of economic development?  Domsetic or
international?  There are many good bee causes (especially in the CCD era),
but we are interested in assisting beekeepers and promoting beekeeping.  We
would enjoy knowing how and were our funds are being used.  Perhaps we would
even find ourselves providing voluntary labor for the cause.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Larry Krengel