From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 21:05:52 -0400
Here's a semi-obvious observation from someone who has
an open mind, but not so open that just any idea can
just wander in one ear and take over the joint:

Consider that probability alone can reveal if bees
"prefer" Housel positioning:

1) Let's assume that bees "like" "Housel Positioning", and
   build hives that way if given a choice. By contrast, let's
   call my traditional approach to putting frames in
   woodenware" Random", where a frame has an equal chance
   of being "right" "or "wrong" under "Housel House Rules".

2) The "worst" a set of 10 could be would be "5 wrong",
   which would result in no frames "correct" (an anti-Housel).

3) With more than 5 "errors", things start getting "better"
   and returning back to a "perfect Housel".

4) So if all hives have 10 frames, I only have a 2 in
   1024 chance of getting a "perfect Housel" by chance
   alone, but I also have only a 2 in 1024 chance of
   getting an "anti-Housel", where every frame is wrong.
   Most hives will have a mix of 1 to 5 "errors".

The maximum number of combinations is "2 to the nth", so
in 9-frame hives, we only have 512 possible combinations,
but we still have 2 possible "perfect" configurations.
8-frame give us 256 combinations, and so on.

If bees prefer "perfect Housels", many more than "2 in 2 to
the nth" foundation-free hives will be "perfect Housels".
If not, the relative position of any one frame in relation
to its neighbors will be "no better than a coin flip", and
only a small number of the "2 to the nth" wild hives will be
"perfect Housels".

An excellent population for sampling would be top-bar hives,
which I understand are not given embossed foundation.

To use a notation that is easier to type, I'd suggest that
we use an "A" to represent an upside-down "Y", so we can have:

Frame Number                1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
A "perfect YA Housel"      YA YA YA YA YA YA YA YA YA YA
A "perfect AY Housel"      AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY

"AY", Error In Frame 2     AY YA AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY
"YA", Error In Frame 3     YA YA AY YA YA YA YA YA YA YA

An "AY YA" Anti-Housel     AY YA AY YA AY YA AY YA AY YA
A "YA AY" Anti-Housel      YA AY YA AY YA AY YA AY YA AY

Ya?  Ay!

                jim