From:
"James C. King" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 11:32:30 -0500
Allen Dick requested comments on dipping woodenware in paraffin.  I have
been dipping supers for use in eastern PA for about ten years.  The receipe
that I use is from a 1987 Speedy Bee article by Dwight Stoller.  This
involves using a 50/50% mixture of high melting paraffin and gum rosin
heated to 300 degrees F.  While the Stoller article suggests dipping twice
for at least a minute, I have found that dipping once for at least one
minute (60-75 seconds) provides excellent protection.  After several years
of use supers obtain a rustic appearance as the outside coating is lost.
However the wood is still impregnated with the mixture.  Some of my dipped
supers have been in use for 10 years without deteroration.

Jim King
Riegelsville, PA